Mittwoch, September 03, 2003

A stiff cup of black tea and the wheels and gears begin again to turn. It's been a long day.

Last night, I walked home to my apartment in the rain. The droplets were not heavy, but constant, and the air's clammy dampness clung around my dripping skin. Two ducks kept silent watch on the boardwalk; I could only make out their black silhouettes against the trembling, reflective pond. Strangely, I was reminded of Berlin... since leaving Germany, I've not experienced weather damp and cold: it was bitter and frozen winter then. The last nine months have been for me a solid summer, traveling from the burning season of one hemisphere to the rising heat of another. I welcome the early morning chill, and rustle of dry linden leaves signaling September.

All day long, I find myself repeatedly I thinking, 'This is the highlight of my day.' Whether it's the electricity I feel in philosophy class, the sound of words rolling off of my tongue while reciting memorized verse, sitting down with a hot cup of black organic coffee, or a steaming cup of miso soup... It may be the sound of my voice reverberating off the walls as I sing ascending the stairs, or the way the wind picks up my hair and plays with it, like a lover or a childhood friend. Without fail though, I am always enthralled by walks past the campus pond, where the birds who live there go about their day. The pond has a life of its own, lived on the mirror of it's waters, an inverted image of the world.

What a rare gift to be able to be able to enjoy the enjoyable--to be free to live. Zoe, in Greek. Abundant life.


,,Wenn ihr in meinem Worte bleibt, seid ihr in Warheit, meine Junger, ihr werdet die Warheit erkennen, und die Wahrheit wird euch freimachen..."